Subject: Fuzzy Control Short Course - Cleveland Ohio - August 4-5

From: Julie Swift <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Jun 1994 13:57:48 GMT

Theory and Applications of Fuzzy Control
August 4 and 5, 1994

Held at the Ohio Aerospace Institute in Cleveland
Contact Person:  Julie Swift (ph:  216-962-3033, e-mail: 
[email-masked])

Program Overview:
There is a growing interest in fuzzy control in the U.S. due to its
successful application in Japan and Europe (e.g., for consumer products,
control of passenger trains, and so on). While there is an increased use
of fuzzy control for some applications, control engineers often hesitate
to use fuzzy control in "critical environments" (e.g., aircraft control,
nuclear reactors, etc.). Reasons for this include the fact that (i) there
are relatively few results on mathematical, control-theoretic modeling
and analysis of fuzzy control systems in the literature (e.g., stability
analysis), and (ii) engineers often need to have proper justification to
use fuzzy control over conventional well-studied control techniques that
have certain known performance and reliability characteristics. Overall,
there is a significant need to come to an understanding of the basics of
fuzzy control and identify the advantages and disadvantages of its use so
that its appropriate role can be found.

The goal of this short course is to provide an introduction to the area
of fuzzy control and show how engineering analysis with attention to
applications can be used to evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of
fuzzy control. In this course we begin to address these issues by first
providing an introduction to fuzzy control and then: (i) by introducing
and comparing fuzzy control techniques (direct, supervisory, and
learning) with conventional control approaches (e.g., PID, non-linear,
and adaptive), (ii) by explaining how to use nonlinear analysis (e.g.,
stability analysis) for fuzzy control systems, and (iii) by using several
control applications as testbeds to evaluate fuzzy and conventional
control. Moreover, we provide an introduction to the state-of-the-art
software that is used for computer-aided-design of fuzzy control systems,
with on-line demonstrations and simulation in the presentation. 

Who Should Attend:
>From Academe: Faculty and students (undergraduate and graduate) .
>From Industry and Government Laboratories: Engineers, mathematicians,
technicians, management personnel, and basically anyone who interfaces
with control systems, in any area of application.

Instructors:
Kevin M. Passino received the Ph.D in electrical engineering from the
University of Notre Dame. He has worked in the control systems group at
Magnavox Electronic Systems Co. in Ft. Wayne and at McDonnell Aircraft
Co., St. Louis, on research in intelligent flight control. He spent a
year at Notre Dame as a Visiting Assistant Professor and is currently an
Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at The
Ohio State University. Professor Passino is currently on the Board of
Governors for the IEEE Control Systems Society, is an Associate Editor
for the IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, and is on the Editorial
Board of the Int. Journal for Engineering Applications of Artificial
Intelligence. He served as the Guest Editor for the Special Issue on
Intelligent Control for IEEE Control Systems Magazine in June 1993 and is
currently serving as a Guest Editor for a Special Track of Papers on
Intelligent Control in IEEE Expert Magazine. He is co-editor (with P.J.
Antsaklis) of the book "An Introduction to Intelligent and Autonomous
Control", (Kluwer Academic Press, 1993). He was Program Co-Chairman for
the 8th IEEE Int. Symp. on Intelligent Control, 1993. His research
interests include intelligent and autonomous control, fuzzy and expert
systems for control, genetic algorithms for control, discrete event
systems, stability theory, and failure detection and identification
systems.

Stephen Yurkovich received the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering
from the University of Notre Dame. He held teaching and postdoctoral
research positions at Notre Dame in 1984, and a Visiting Associate
Professor position there in 1992. In 1984 he moved to the Department of
Electrical Engineering at The Ohio State University, where he is
currently Associate Professor. His research interests include system
identification and parameter set estimation for control, and fuzzy logic
for control, in application areas including flexible mechanical
structures, intelligent vehicle highway systems, and automotive systems.
Professor Yurkovich teaches a variety of undergraduate and graduate level
courses in control theory, and has authored the text Control Systems
Laboratory. He has held numerous positions within the IEEE Control
Systems Society: he is past chairman of the Standing Committees on
Student Activities and on Publications, is currently serving a three-year
term as an elected member of the Board of Governors, and was an Executive
Officer in 1993. He is a Senior Member of IEEE and is currently
Editor-in-chief of IEEE Control Systems.

Schedule:

Part I: Overview and Introduction to Fuzzy Control (8:30a.m. - 12:00p.m.;
Aug. 4) 
Overview
- Trends in theory, software, and hardware 
Introduction to Fuzzy Systems
- Fuzzy sets and fuzzy logic
- Fuzzy implications and inference
- Defuzzification
Fuzzy Control
Nonlinear Analysis
- Stability Analysis
- Applications

Part II: Techniques and Applications in Fuzzy Control (1:30-5:00p.m.;
Aug. 4) 
Applications of Direct Fuzzy Control
- Ball and Beam Laboratory Testbed
- Robotic systems
- Automotive systems
Adaptive Fuzzy Control
- Fuzzy Learning Control
- Applications
Supervisory Control
- PID tuning and laboratory application
- Flexible-link robot laboratory testbed 

Part III: Computer-Aided Design of Fuzzy Control Systems
(9:00a.m.-12:00p.m.; Aug. 5) 
Design Issues
Software
- Defining a fuzzy system
- Defining the control system
- Simulating the control system
Issues in evaluation
Open forum for discussion/questions on design
==========================================================