Subject: E-letter 73

From: eletter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 12:15:08 +0200

E-LETTER on Systems, Control, and Signal Processing
                 ISSUE No. 73,  September 1, 1994

E-mail:    [email-masked]

Editors:   Anton A. Stoorvogel
           Dept. of Mathematics & Computing Science
           Eindhoven University of Technology
           P.O. Box 513
           5600 MB Eindhoven
           the Netherlands
           Fax     +31-40-465995

           Siep Weiland
           Dept. of Electrical Engineering
           Eindhoven University of Technology
           P.O. Box 513
           5600 MB Eindhoven
           the Netherlands
           Fax     +31-40-434582

Contents

1.      Editorial

2.      Personals

3.      General announcements
        3.1  GNANS version 1.3

4.      Positions
        4.1  Chair Dept. EE, Un. of Texas, Arlington
        4.2  Post graduate Scholarships, Un. of Glasgow
        4.3  Junior Faculty, University of Notre Dame

5.      Books
        5.1  A mathematical introduction to robotic manipulation -Murray
        5.2  Wavelets and other orthogonal systems with applications -Walter
        5.3  Dynamical systems with saturation non-linearities -Liu, Michel

6.      Journals
        6.1  Editorial change MCSS, -> NEW ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSIONS <-
        6.2  Table of Contents Automatica, Vol. 30:9
        6.3  Table of Contents Circuits Systems and Signal Proc., Vol. 13:6
        6.4  Table of Contents Transactions ASME, Vol. 116:2
        6.5  Table of Contents Mechatronics, Pergamon Press
        6.6  Table of Contents Lin. Alg. & Appl., Vol. 210

7.      Conferences
        7.1  Call for Papers 34th IEEE CDC'95
        7.2  Call for Papers 3rd SIAM Conf. on Control and Applications '95
        7.3  Call for Papers Workshop Wavelets and L.Scale Image Processing
                          Un. of Illinois, October 1994
        7.4  Call for Papers ICCI 1995, Hong Kong
        7.5  Call for Papers IEEE Int. Conf on Systems Eng., Dayton '95
        7.6  Call for Papers IEEE Conf. on Control Applications, Albany, '95
        7.7  Call for Papers IFAC Symp. Control of Power Plants, Cancun, '95
        7.8  Call for Papers IWANNT-95, Stockholm, Sweden
        7.9  Announcement IEEE Inform. Theory Workshop, St Louis, '95

              ******************************************
              *                                        *
              *              Editorial                 *
              *                                        *
              ******************************************

Welcome to E-letter number 73 !!!

We plan to send out the E-letter monthly. The next issue of E-letter will
appear October 1. Please send contributions before this date.

Contributions for our conference column tend to get increasingly long
while part of the provided information is not always relevant to include
in the E-letter. In order to keep the E-letter a reasonably sized medium we
encourage contributors for this column to provide essential information
only and leave out registration forms, members of program committees,
sponsors, etc.

We remind you of the following.

-1- Contributions have to be sent to:   "[email-masked]"

    It would be useful if articles are already sent in the format that we
    use, starting with a "Contributed by:..." and a title centered in the
    next line. Each line should be no more than 80 characters wide. Please
    respect the MAXIMUM LENGTH OF 8 Kb per contribution.

-2- You can subscribe to the E-letter by sending an (empty) e-mail message
    to "[email-masked]" carrying the subject 'add' or 'subscribe'. You
    will be automatically subscribed and included in our mailing list.
    To unsubscribe from this list, send an (empty) e-mail message to
    "[email-masked]" with the subject 'remove', 'delete' or
    'unsubscribe'.

-3- If your address changed first unsubscribe (using your old E-mail address)
    and then subscribe again (using your new E-mail address). If you can not
    use your old E-mail address any longer then send an E-mail to
    "[email-masked]" and your old address will be removed
    manually. In case of any problems please send an E-mail to
    "[email-masked]" and we will try to resolve the problem.

-4- Further information about the E-letter can be obtained by sending an
    (empty) e-mail message to "[email-masked]" carrying the subject
    'info' or via the finger command: "finger [email-masked]"

-5- If you are using an editor to read this mailing and if at any point you
    wish to skip to the next article, you can accomplish this by searching
    for the string: *.**

              ******************************************
              *                                        *
              *              Personals                 *
              *                                        *
              ******************************************

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Richard D. Braatz

                 Change of Address

I will move from DuPont to University of Illinois
effective August 21.  My new address is:

Prof. Richard D. Braatz
University of Illinois
600 South Matthews Avenue, Box C-3
Urbana, IL  61801, U.S.A.
e-mail:  [email-masked]
Tel: 217-352-6010
Fax: 217-244-8068

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Hidenori Kimura

I am on leave from Osaka University for two months from August 3
in the Netherland.  My address there is as follows:

              Room 12:05
              Department of Electrical Engineering
              Delft University of Technology
              P.O. Box 5031, NL-2600 GA Delft
              The Netherlands
              Tel. +31-15 78 4052
              Fax. +31-15 62 6738
              Email: [email-masked].

Hidenori Kimura
Depatrment of Systems Engineering
Osaka University
Machikaneyama, Toyonaka 560
JAPAN
Tel:06-844-1151  Ext.4610
Fax:06-857-7664
Email: [email-masked]

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Upamanyu Madhow

             CHANGE OF ADDRESS

I have moved from Bellcore to the Electrical and Computer Eng. Dept.
at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  My new address is:

Coordinated Science Laboratory
1308 W. Main St.
Urbana, IL 61801, USA

Email:[email-masked]
Phone: (217) 333-0943

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by:    Nader Moayeri
                   Nader Moayeri joins HP Labs

Nader Moayeri has left the ECE Dept. at Rutgers University
to join the Hewlett-Packard Laboratories in Palo Alto, CA.

He can be reached at:

Nader Moayeri
HP Labs
1501 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304

Phone:    (415) 857-5038
Fax:      (415) 857-4691
E-Mail:   [email-masked]

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by : Roy Eagleson

                 Change of Address

I am moving to a tenure-track position at Ryerson University in Toronto,
effective Aug 1 1994.  New postal address, email, and fax/phone:

    Roy Eagleson, Ph.D.                          [email-masked]
    Assistant Professor
    Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering
    Ryerson Polytechnic University
    350 Victoria Street                           (416) 979-5000 x.6686
    Toronto, Ontario  M5B 2K3                     (FAX: 979-5280)

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Venkataramanan Balakrishnan <[email-masked]>

     Change of address for V. Ragu Balakrishnan

I have moved from the Institute for Systems Research at the
University of Maryland to the School of Electrical Engineering
at Purdue University, West Lafayette.  My new address and
phone numbers, effective from August 15, 1994, are:

  EE334A, Electrical Eng Bldg     Phone:    (317) 494-0728
  School of Electrical Eng        Fax:      (317) 494-6440
  Purdue University               Internet: [email-masked]
  West Lafayette, IN 47907

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Ricardo S\'anchez Pe\~na

         CHANGE OF ADDRESS:

My new job in our national Space Research Agency is:

Dr. Ricardo Sanchez Pena
Comision Nacional de Actividades Espaciales (CONAE)
Av. Paseo Colon 751
(1063) Capital Federal - ARGENTINA
Ph. (54-1) 342-2318/331-5283/331-2184 or 331-0244 ext. 15
FAX (54-1) 331-0189  Email [email-masked]

and as Professor at the University of Buenos Aires:

Dr. Ricardo Sanchez Pena
Depto. de Electronica,
Facultad de Ingenieria,
Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA)
Av. Paseo Colon 850
(1063) Capital Federal - ARGENTINA

              ******************************************
              *                                        *
              *        General announcements           *
              *                                        *
              ******************************************

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by : Bengt Martensson <[email-masked]>

                    Announcing Gnans version 1.3.

Gnans is a program (and language) for the numerical study of
deterministic and stochastic dynamical systems. The dynamical systems
may evolve in continuous or discrete time.

Gnans loads a system, a definition of a dynamical system in a
special, equation oriented language. The description consists of
declarations of states etc, and equations describing the dynamics of the
system. As an advanced feature, arbitrary C++-code may also be contained
in the system description. Gnans sorts the equations, translates them
into C++, which is subsequently compiled and linked into the running
program. It is then able to solve the system equations numerically with
the speed of a compiled (as opposite to interpreted) program.  Several
numerical integrators, also for stochastic differential equations, are
provided. Gnans has an intuitive user interface, making it possible
control the program and to change all relevant parameters using an
intuitive point-and-click interface. In this operation, it can be
considered ``an initial value problem (IVP) engine''. Using a simple
script language, this IVP-engine can be programmed. As a by-product,
this offers the possibility of a command line interface. (Actually, as
another by-product, Gnans contains a rather powerful pocket calculator!)
Simple interactive two-dimensional plot routines are provided.

Gnans is copyrighted, but freely distributable under the Gnu
General Public License.

An C++ compiler is required, even if you just get the binaries.
The present release is only known to compile with gcc 2.6.0.

The new version has been ported to Suns with operating system SunOS
4.1.x and SunOS 5.x ("Solaris 2"), and SGI with the operating system
IRIX 5.x. There are many bug fixes, portability fixes, and internal
improvements.  Relatively little has been added in functionality.

You can get Gnans by anonymous ftp to ftp.mathematik.uni-Bremen.de
(134.102.232.101 for those of you without name server). (User name
``ftp'', use your e-mail address as password.)  (Our ftp-connection can
be very slow, please have patience. We will get a much faster line
"real soon now".)  Binaries for Sparc (for SunOS 4.1.x) and SGI (for
IRIX 5.2) are available. Please also drop me an e-mail, and tell me
about your success with the installation, and any bugs you encounter.

Get either the source or a binary distribution. All contain full
documentation, except for some large PostScript figures, which are
only "needed" for the printed manual. The figures are available in the
file gnans-doc-pictures.tar.gz. (These are the same as included in the
1.2 distribution, so there is no need to get them again if you already
have them.)  Pick up gnansdoc....ps.gz only in you cannot print the
documentation.

There is a mailing group for Gnans. Please send submissions for the
mailing group to [email-masked], and requests to be
added/dropped to/from the list to [email-masked].

              ******************************************
              *                                        *
              *              Positions                 *
              *                                        *
              ******************************************

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: F.L. Lewis,
                Robotics Inst., UT Arlington
                [email-masked],
                tel. 817-794-5972, fax 817-794-5952

Chair, Department of Electrical Engineering.  The University of
Texas at Arlington invites applications for the position of
Chairperson, Department of Electrical Engineering.  Duties will
assume in summer or fall of 1995.  Candidates should hold an earned
doctorate in Electrical Engineering, have a commitment to
educational programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels,
and be recognized as a leader in research and education.  The
Chairperson will provide leadership in the ongoing growth of the
department, including fostering strong relationships with
government agencies and the extensive Dallas/Ft. Worth industry.

UTA has 23,000 students and the largest College of Engineering in
north Texas.  The EE Department is situated in a new building and
has 30 full time faculty, 500 undergraduate students, 300 masters
students, and 100 Ph.D. students.  Facilities include 67,000 sq.
ft. of research and educational laboratories in:  the NSF
Industry/University Center for Electronic Materials, Devices and
Systems, the Wave Scattering and Remote Sensing Research Center,
the Energy Systems Research Center, the Human Systems and
Performance Institute, the Medical Imaging Laboratory, the Applied
Physical Electronics Center, the Electro-Optics Laboratory, and
Telecommunications and Signal/Image Processing Laboratories.  UTA's
Automation and Robotics Research Institute provides 48,000 sq. ft.
of additional facilities for interdisciplinary R&D in
manufacturing, robotics, and controls.  The EE Department has
significant external funding from NSF, DoD, ARPA, and other
government agencies, as well as from local Dallas/Fort Worth
industry.

A complete resume and the names of five references should be sent
to:  Professor Don Wilson, EE Chairman Search Committee, Box 19016,
The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas 76019.  Tel.
817-273-2603, fax. 817-794-5010, email [email-masked].  UTA
is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by:  Yun Li <[email-masked]>

               THREE POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIPS

                         UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW
                        FACULTY OF  ENGINEERING
                    CENTRE FOR SYSTEMS AND CONTROL

Three Scholarships are offered for a period of three years each.
Successful applicants will carry out research in the general area of
Systems and Control Engineering leading to the award of PhD.

Applicants should have a UK first or upper second class degree or
equivalent.  Awards will be made on the basis of merit.

The annual value of each scholarship will be in the region of:

        Fees:        2260
        Maintenance: 6500
                     ----
        Total :      8760

The fee component corresponds to PhD fees for home/EU students; applicants
outwith the EU would have to find additional costs from other sources.

General information about Glasgow University and research into systems
and control can be obtained on WWW with URL:

        http://www.mech.gla.ac.uk/Control/

Informal enquires should be made to Prof. DJ Murray-Smith of Electronics
and Electrical Engineering Department or Prof. PJ Gawthrop of Mechanical
Engineering Department.

Applications, including a CV and the names of two referees should be
sent by the 9th September to:

  Prof. P.J. Gawthrop,
  Department of Mechanical Engineering,
  The University,
  GLASGOW. G12 8QQ
  Scotland.

Tel:
  +44 41 339 8855 ext. 4960/4349

E-mail:
  [email-masked]

Fax:
  +44 41 330 4343 (Attn: Prof. PJ Gawthrop)

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: [email-masked]

----------- POSITION OPEN at UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME ----------

UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME, ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING:  The Department of
Electrical Engineering has an open junior (tenure track) faculty position
in the general area of Communication Systems.  Specific areas include,
but are not limited to, wireless, video, multimedia, and secure
communication.  Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering
or a related field.  The Department offers B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. programs
in Electrical Engineering and has 150 undergraduate students, 75 full-time
graduate students, and 22 faculty.  Active research programs exist in two
broad areas:Electronic Circuits and Systems and Electronic Materials and
Devices.  Applicants should have interest in teaching at the undergraduate
and graduate levels, advising students, and conducting research.
Tank and salary are negotiable.  Interested persons should submit a
complete resume and names of three references to:

Dr. Daniel J. Costello, Chairman
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556
FAX: 1-219-631-4393

The University of Notre Dame is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer.

              ******************************************
              *                                        *
              *                Books                   *
              *                                        *
              ******************************************

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Richard Murray <[email-masked]>

                        New Book Announcement

        A MATHEMATICAL INTRODUCTION TO ROBOTIC MANIPULATION
               by R. M. Murray, Z. Li, S. S. Sastry
                          CRC Press, 1994

This book presents a mathematical formulation of the kinematics,
dynamics, and control of robot manipulators.  The foundation of the
book is a derivation of robot kinematics using the product of
exponentials formula.  This formalism relies on the representation of
rigid body motion as the exponential of a generalized velocity
(twist).  In addition to the kinematics, dynamics, and control of
open-chain manipulators, the book contains a complete description of
the kinematics of multi-fingered robot hands, including rolling
contacts, and presents a detailed introduction nonholonomic behavior
in robotic systems.

The book contains numerous examples and exercises which enable it to be
used both as a text for an advanced course in robotics and as a reference
for robotics researchers.  Additional information on the book, including
ordering infomration and free software, is available via anonymous ftp
from 'avalon.caltech.edu' in the directory 'pub/MLS' or via the world wide
web at URL 'http://avalon.caltech.edu/~murray/mls/'.

Contents
========
Chapter 1.  Introduction
  Brief History * Multifingered Hands and Dextrous Manipulation *
  Outline of the Book

Chapter 2.  Rigid Body Motion
  Rigid Body Transformations * Rotational Motion in R^3 * Rigid Motion
  in R^3 * Velocity of a Rigid Body * Wrenches and Reciprocal Screws

Chapter 3.  Manipulator Kinematics
  Introduction * Forward Kinematics * Inverse Kinematics * The
  Manipulator Jacobian * Redundant and Parallel Manipulators

Chapter 4.  Robot Dynamics and Control
  Introduction * Lagrange's Equations * Dynamics for an Open-Chain
  Manipulator * Lyapunov Stability Theory * Position Control and
  Trajectory Tracking * Control of Constrained Manipulators

Chapter 5.  Multifingered Hand Kinematics
  Introduction to Grasping * Grasp Statics * Force-Closure * Grasp
  Planning * Grasp constraints * Rolling contact kinematics

Chapter 6.  Hand Dynamics and Control
  Lagrange's Equations with Constraints * Robot Hand Dynamics *
  Redundant and Non-Manipulable Robot Systems * Kinematics and statics
  of tendon actuation * Control of Robot Hands

Chapter 7.  Nonholonomic Behavior in Robotic Systems
  Introduction * Controllability and the Frobenius theorem * Examples of
  Nonholonomic Systems * Structure of Nonholonomic Systems

Chapter 8.  Nonholonomic Motion Planning
  Introduction * Steering Model Control Systems Using Sinusoids *
  General Methods for Steering * Dynamic Finger Repositioning

Chapter 9.  Future Prospects
  Robots in Hazardous Environments * Medical Applications for
  Multifingered Hands: Millirobotics * Robots on a Small Scale:
  Microrobotics

Appendix A.  Lie Groups and Robot Kinematics
  Differentiable Manifolds * Lie Groups * The Geometry of the
  Euclidean Group

Appendix B.  A Mathematica Package for Performing Screw Calculus

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Gil Walter  <[email-masked]>

                        New Book on Wavelets

Wavelets and other Orthogonal Systems with Applications, by Gilbert G.
Walter, CRC Press, 1994

This one is a little different than most of the other wavelet books that
have appeared in the last couple of years.  It gives a little background
in Fourier series and integrals as well as generalized functions first.
It deals only with orthogonal wavelets and compares them to other
orthogonal systems.  It has more of an emphasis on sampling theorems and
statistics than others.  Here's the table of contents:

       WAVELETS AND OTHER ORTHOGONAL SYSTEMS WITH APPLICATIONS

                          TABLE OF CONTENTS

     CHAPTER
     1. Orthogonal Series
          1.1 General theory
          1.2 Examples
     2. A Primer on Tempered Distributions
          2.1 Tempered distributions
          2.2 Fourier transforms
          2.3 Periodic distributions
          2.4 Analytic representations
          2.5 Sobolev spaces
     3. An Introduction to Orthogonal Wavelet Theory
          3.1 Multiresolution analysis
          3.2 Mother wavelet
          3.3 Reproducing kernels
          3.4 Regularity of wavelets as a moment condition
          3.5 Mallat's decomposition and reconstruction algorithm
          3.6 Filters
     4. Convergence and Summability of Fourier Series
          4.1 Pointwise convergence
          4.2 Summability
          4.3 Gibbs' phenomenon
          4.4 Periodic distributions
     5. Expansions of distributions in wavelets
          5.1 Multiresolution analysis of tempered distributions
          5.2 Wavelets based on distributions
          5.3 Distributions with point support
     6. Orthogonal Polynomials
          6.1 General theory
          6.2 Classical orthogonal polynomials on an interval
     7. Other Orthogonal Systems
          7.1 Self adjoint eigenvalue problems on a finite interval
          7.2 Hilbert-Schmidt integral operators
          7.3 An anomaly - the prolate spheroidal functions
          7.4 A lucky accident?
          7.5 Rademacher functions
          7.6 Walsh functions
          7.7 Periodic wavelets
          7.8 Local sine or cosine bases
     8. Pointwise Convergence of Wavelet Expansions
          8.1 Quasi-positive delta sequences
          8.2 Local convergence of distribution expansions
          8.3 Convergence almost everywhere
          8.4 Rate of convergence of the delta sequence
          8.5 Other partial sums of the wavelet expansion
          8.6 Gibbs' Phenomenon
     9. A Shannon Sampling Theorem in V
          9.1 A Riesz basis of V
          9.2 The sampling sequence in V
          9.3 Examples of sampling theorems
          9.4 The sampling sequence in T
          9.5 Shifted sampling
          9.6 Oversampling with scaling function
          9.7 Cardinal scaling functions
      10. Translation and Dilation Invariance in Orthogonal Systems
          10.1 Trigonometric system
          10.2 Orthogonal Polynomials
          10.3 An example where everything works
          10.4 An example where nothing works
          10.5 Weak translation invariance
          10.6 Dilations and other operations
     11. Analytic Representation via Orthogonal Series
          11.1 Trigonometric series
          11.2 Hermite series
          11.3 Legendre polynomial series
          11.4 Analytic and harmonic wavelets
          11.5 Analytic solutions to dilation equations
          11.6 Analytic representation of distributions by wavelets
     12. Orthogonal Series in Statistics
          12.1 Fourier series density estimators
          12.2 Hermite series density estimators
          12.3 The histogram as a wavelet estimator
          12.4 Smooth wavelet estimators of density
          12.5 Local convergence
          12.6 Positive density estimators
          12.7 Other estimation with wavelets
     13. Orthogonal Systems and Stochastic Processes
          13.1 K-L expansions
          13.2 Stationary processes and wavelets
          13.3 A series with uncorrelated coefficients
          13.4 Wavelets based on band limited processes
          13.5 Non-stationary processes
     References

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Derong Liu <[email-masked]>

             DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS WITH SATURATION NONLINEARITIES:
                            ANALYSIS AND DESIGN

                 Derong Liu, General Motors NAO R&D Center
                 Anthony N. Michel, University of Notre Dame

Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, Vol. 195
Springer-Verlag London Ltd 1994
xiv + 191 pages
ISBN 3-540-19888-1
ISBN 0-387-19888-1

This monograph which consists of three parts addresses topics in the
areas of control systems, signal processing, and neural networks.

In the first part, we investigate two fundamental issues for a class of
dynamical systems with saturation nonlinearities. For zero-input
continuous-time and discrete-time dynamical systems with saturation
nonlinearities, we establish several results for the global asymptotic
stability of the null solution. For the discrete-time case, we utilize
Lyapunov's Second Method to arrive at our results and we establish
necessary and sufficient conditions under which positive definite
matrices can be used to construct quadratic form Lyapunov functions.
For discrete-time dynamical systems with state saturation and control
constraints, we establish several sufficient conditions for null
controllability.

In the  second part, we establish  results for the stability analysis
of digital filters implemented in finite wordlength format. We consider
both one-dimensional and multidimensional state-space digital filters
endowed with overflow nonlinearities. We utilize the Second Method of
Lyapunov in our analysis. Our results greatly improve existing results
and appear to be the least conservative criteria for the subject
systems. The generalized overflow nonlinearity considered herein
includes the usual types of overflow characteristics used in practice
as special cases. Results of this part build on the developments of the
first part.

In the  third part, we consider analysis and design of a class of
feedback neural networks--neural networks with linear saturation
activation functions. We establish results which enable us to determine
all the equilibrium points and their qualitative properties in a
systematic manner for a given neural network, and results which enable
us to determine allowable upper bounds for parameter perturbations. We
also develop synthesis procedures for networks with various connectivity
constraints. Our focus is on various problems which arise in the
analog VLSI implementations of neural networks which are of great
practical interest. This work constitutes the first successful synthesis
procedure for associative memories by means of artificial neural
networks with arbitrarily prespecified full or partial interconnecting
structure and with or without symmetry constraints for the connection
matrix.

        TABLE OF CONTENTS

Chapter 1:   INTRODUCTION TO DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS WITH SATURATION
             NONLINEARITIES

1.1     Dynamical Systems and Saturation Nonlinearities
1.2     Control Systems with Saturation Nonlinearities
1.3     Digital Filters with Overflow Corrections
1.4     Feedback Neural Networks and Associative Memories

PART I:  QUALITATIVE THEORY OF CONTROL SYSTEMS WITH CONTROL CONSTRAINTS
         AND STATE SATURATION: TWO FUNDAMENTAL ISSUES

Chapter 2:   INTRODUCTION TO PART I

2.1     Concepts of Stability and Lyapunov Functions
2.2     Principal Lyapunov Stability Theorems
2.3     Controllability

Chapter 3:   ASYMPTOTIC STABILITY OF DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS WITH STATE
             SATURATION

3.1     Introduction to Continuous-Time Systems
3.2     Notation
3.3     Main Result for Continuous-Time Systems
3.4     Introduction to Discrete-Time Systems
3.5     A General Result for Discrete-Time Systems
3.6     Results Involving Quadratic Form Lyapunov Functions
3.7     Examples
3.8     Concluding Remarks

Chapter 4:   NULL CONTROLLABILITY OF DISCRETE-TIME DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS
             WITH CONTROL CONSTRAINTS AND STATE SATURATION

4.1     Introduction
4.2     Main Results
4.3     Examples
4.4     Concluding Remarks

PART II:  STABILITY ANALYSIS OF ONE-DIMENSIONAL AND MULTIDIMENSIONAL
          STATE-SPACE DIGITAL FILTERS ENDOWED WITH OVERFLOW
          NONLINEARITIES

Chapter 5:   INTRODUCTION TO PART II

5.1     Fixed-Point Digital Filters and Overflow Nonlinearities
5.2     Limit Cycles in Fixed-Point Digital Filters
5.3     Multidimensional Digital Filters

Chapter 6:   CRITERIA FOR THE ABSENCE OF OVERFLOW OSCILLATIONS IN
             FIXED-POINT DIGITAL FILTERS USING GENERALIZED OVERFLOW
             CHARACTERISTICS

6.1     Introduction
6.2     Some Existing Results
6.3     Digital Filters Using Saturation Arithmetic
6.4     Digital Filters Using Generalized Overflow Characteristics
6.5     Algorithms for Determining the Matrix H
6.6     Examples
6.7     Concluding Remarks

Chapter 7:   STABILITY ANALYSIS OF STATE-SPACE REALIZATIONS FOR
             MULTIDIMENSIONAL FILTERS WITH OVERFLOW NONLINEARITIES

7.1     Introduction
7.2     General Results for Two-Dimensional Digital Filters
7.3     Main Result for Two-Dimensional Digital Filters
7.4     Multidimensional Digital Filters with Overflow Nonlinearities
7.5     Examples
7.6     Concluding Remarks

PART III:  ANALYSIS AND SYNTHESIS OF A CLASS OF NEURAL NETWORKS WITH
           INTERCONNECTION CONSTRAINTS WITH APPLICATIONS TO ASSOCIATIVE
           MEMORIES

Chapter 8:   INTRODUCTION TO PART III

8.1     Models of Feedback Neural Networks
8.2     Design Methods for Associative Memories
8.3     Analog VLSI Implementations and Problems
8.4     Cellular Neural Networks

Chapter 9:   ANALYSIS AND SYNTHESIS OF A CLASS OF NEURAL NETWORKS WITH
             PIECEWISE LINEAR SATURATION ACTIVATION FUNCTIONS

9.1     Introduction
9.2     Notation
9.3     Analysis Results
9.4     Synthesis Procedures
9.5     An Example
9.6     Concluding Remarks

Chapter 10:   SPARSELY INTERCONNECTED NEURAL NETWORKS FOR ASSOCIATIVE
              MEMORIES WITH APPLICATIONS TO CELLULAR NEURAL NETWORKS

10.1    Introduction
10.2    Sparse Design Procedures
10.3    Applications to Cellular Neural Networks
10.4    Examples
10.5    Chinese Character Recognition
10.6    Concluding Remarks

Chapter 11:   ROBUSTNESS ANALYSIS OF A CLASS OF SPARSELY INTERCONNECTED
              NEURAL NETWORKS WITH APPLICATIONS TO THE DESIGN PROBLEM

11.1    Introduction
11.2    Robustness Analysis
11.3    Applications to the Design Problem
11.4    Examples
11.5    Concluding Remarks

CLOSING REMARKS

BIBLIOGRAPHY

ABOUT THE AUTHORS

              ******************************************
              *                                        *
              *               Journals                 *
              *                                        *
              ******************************************

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: E. Sontag and B. Dickinson

  ***** MAJOR EDITORIAL CHANGE IN MCSS, AND NEW SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS *****

We are pleased to announce a major change in the Editorial operation of
MCSS.

Effective August 1994, Jan van Schuppen, from CWI (Centre for Mathematics and
Computer Science) in Amsterdam, has joined us as a co-Editor of MATHEMATICS
OF
CONTROL, SIGNALS, AND SYSTEMS.

Not only does Van Schuppen's expertise perfectly complement ours, but having
a
European editor is consistent with the current very high level of activity in
Control and Systems Theory in Europe.  Furthermore, the CWI has agreed to
establish an Editorial Office for MCSS, which will handle the processing of
papers.

****EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY**** all submissions of papers should be done to the
MCSS Editorial Office at the CWI (see below).  Inquiries about papers under
review should be directed to that Office as well --except for papers already
in process previous to this change.

The new address for submissions is:

  Prof. J.H. van Schuppen,
  Editor, MCSS
  CWI
  P.O. Box 94079
  1090 GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands

(NO SUBMISSIONS SHOULD BE SENT ELSEWHERE -THIS IS THE ONLY ADDRESS TO BE
USED.)

E-mail inquiries regarding submissions should be addressed to: [email-masked]

The secretary in charge of the Editorial Office is: Ms. L.M. Schultze.
She can be reached at the above postal and email addresses.
Her telephone number is: +39.20.592.4189
and her FAX number is: +39.20.592.4199

The journal, which has already established itself as a major source in
theoretical aspects of Systems and Control, will benefit tremendously from
the scientific and administrative capabilities of Jan, as we move towards
the 8th year of operation.  We are sure that you will join us in welcoming
him!

Brad Dickinson and Eduardo Sontag

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by Huibert Kwakernaak

                               AUTOMATICA

                            Table of Contents

Volume 30, No 9                                              September, 1994

REGULAR PAPERS

J. D. Paduano, L. Valavani et al.       Modeling for Control of Rotating
Stall

G. de Nicolao                           Cyclomonotonicity, Riccati Equations,
                                        and Periodic Receding Horizon Control

Li Xu, O. Saito and K. Abe              On the Design of Practically-Stable
                                        nD Feedback Systems

R. J. Elliott                           Exact Adaptive Filters for Markov
                                        Chains Observed in Gaussian Noise

BRIEF PAPERS

Y. Wang, D.J. Hill, R.H. Middleton, L. Gao

                                        Transient Stabilization of Power
                                        Systems with an Adaptive Control Law

Keum Shik Hong, J. Bentsman             Application of Averaging Method for
                                        Integro-Differential Equations to
                                        Model Reference Adaptive Control of
                                        Parabolic Systems

P. Peleties, R. A. DeCarlo              Analysis of a Hybrid System Using
                                        Symbolic Dynamics and Petri Nets

R. Palm                                 Robust Control by Fuzzy Sliding Mode

D. S. Bayard                            High-Order Multivariable Transfer
                                        Function Curve Fitting: Algorithms,
                                        Sparse Matrix Methods and
                                        Experimental
                                        Results

L. Guo, A. Schone, X. Ding              Control of Hydraulic Rotary
Multi-Motor
                                        Systems Based on Bilinearization

P.G. Voulgaris, M.A. Dahleh, L.S. Valavani

                                        Robust Adaptive Control: A Slowly
                                        Varying Systems Approach

P. Lucibello                            State Steering by Learning for a
                                        Class of Nonlinear Control Systems

B. Zhou, N.K.  Bose                     A Unified Approach to Data
Association
                                        in Multitarget Tracking

Bin Yao, S. P. Chan, Danwei Wang        Variable Structure Adaptive Motion
and
                                        Force Control of Robot Manipulators

J.-T.H. Chan                            Multivariable Control System
Synthesis:
                                        An Experimental Data Based Numerical
                                        Approach

A. Malmgren, K. Nordstrom               A Contraction Property for State
                                        Feedback Design of Linear Discrete
                                        Time Systems

TECHNICAL COMMUNIQUES

Er-Wei Bai, M. S. Andersland            Stochastic and Worst Case System
                                        Identification Are Not Necessarily
                                        Incompatible

B.A. Leon de la Barra, M.A. Fernandez

                                        Transient Properties of Type m
                                        Continuous Time Scalar Systems

Chun-Yi Su, Y. Stepanenko               Adaptive Sliding Mode Control of
                                        Robot Manipulators: General Sliding
                                        Manifold Case

F. Najson, E. Kreindler                 On Compensation for Neglected
Actuator
                                        Dynamics

BOOK REVIEW

R. Vingerhoeds                          F.L. Lewis: Applied Optimal Control
                                        and Estimation: Digital Design and
                                        Implementation

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Submitted by A.H.Zemanian ([email-masked])

Table of Contents for:

CIRCUITS, SYSTEMS, AND SIGNAL PROCESSING

Vol. 13, No. 6, 1994:

Special Issue on:

NUMERICAL METHODS IN SYSTEM DESIGN

Guest Editors: V.L.Syrmos, A.J.Laub, and F.L.Lewis

Preface
   V.L.Syrmos, A.J.Laub, and F.L.Lewis

Coupled and constrained Sylvester equations in system design
   Vassilis L. Syrmos and Frank L. Lewis

Methods for the numerical integration of Hamiltonian systems
   J.J.Hench, C.S.Kenney, and A.J.Laub

Krylov space methods on state-space control models
   Daniel L. Boley

Identification of a class of multivariable systems from
impulse response data: Theory and computational algorithm
   Arnab K. Shaw, Pradeep Misra, and Ramadas Kumaresan

Placing zeroes and the Kronecker canonical form
   Daniel L. Boley and Paul Van Dooren

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by:  [email-masked]

TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME
JOURNAL OF DYNAMIC SYSTEMS, MEASUREMENT, AND CONTROL

Table of Contents for Volume 116, No. 2, June 1994

Regular Papers:

Analytic Look Shaping Methods in Quantitative Feedback Theory by D.F.
Thompson and O.D.I. Nwokah

Lagrangian Bond Graphs for Solid Continuum Dynamics Modeling by E.P.
Fahrenthold and J.D. Wargo

A Time-Domain Inverse Dynamic Tracking Control of a Single-Link Flexible
Manipulator, D.-S. Kwon and W.J. Book

Dynamic Analysis of Noncollocated Flexible Arms and Design of Torque
Transmission Mechanisms by J.-H. Park and H. Asada

On the Stability of PD Control for a Two-Link Rigid-Flexible Manipulator by
A.S. Yigit

Discrete Time Noncollocated  Control of Flexible Mechanical Systems Using
Time Delay by M.S. Kang and B. Yang

Efficient Dynamic Simulation of Multiple Chain Robotic Mechanisms by K.W.
Lilly and D.E. Orin

Resolved-Mode Teleoperated Control of Heavy-Duty Hydraulic Machines by N.
Sepehri, P.D. Lawrence, F. Sassani, and R. Frenette

Predictive Controller and Estimator for NASA Deep Space Network Antennas by
W. Gawronski

The Dynamic Effects of Tire Lag on Simulation Yaw Rate Predictions by G.J.
Heydinger, W.R. Garrott, J.P. Chrstos, and D.A. Guenther

An Application of Extended Kalmman Filtering to Heat Exchanger Models by G.
Jonsson and O.P. Palsson

Laser Surface Height and Orientation Measurement System by P. D. Lin and
J.L. Chen

Compressible-Flow Modeling with Pseudo Bond Graphs by J. Tan, K.A. Stelson,
and K.A. Janni

The Suction Dynamics of Positive Displacement Axial Piston Pumps by R.M.
Harris, K.A. Edge, and D.G. Tilley

Quantitative Robust Control of Temperature and Humidity in Hot-and-Dry
Climates by A.E. Attia and S.F. Rezeka

A Decentralized Controller for the Robust Stabilization of a Class of MIMO
Dynamical Systems by A. Tornambe and P. Valigi

Technical Briefs:

A Geometric Representation of Root Sensitivity by T.R. Kurfess and M.L.
Nagurka

Synthesis of Multivariable Controller with Plant Test Data by J.-T. H. Chan

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by:  T.H.Lee   <[email-masked]>

     Mechatronics, Pergamon Press
        Vol.4, No. 4, 1994

Contents:

"Turbocharging the submarine diesel engine,"
E. Swain

"The position control of electrohydraulic servomechanism
via a novel variable structure control,"
C.L.Hwang and C.H.Lan

"A DSP-based power integrated circuit controller/driver
board for stepper motors,"
F.K.Fadul and R.P.Krahe

"Model of a special orthotic manipulator,"
D. Hr. Stefanov

"Survey of range vision systems,"
D.Indyk and S.A.Velastin

The purpose of Mechatronics journal is to provide rapid publication
of topical papers featuring practical developments in
mechatronics. It will cover a wide range of applications
areas including consumer product design, instrumentation,
manufacturing methods, computer integration and process and
device control, and will attract a readership from across the
industrial and academic spectrum.

Particular importance will be attached to aspects of innovation
in mechatronics design philosophy which will illustrate
the benefits obtainable by an a priori integration of
functionality with embedded microprocessor control. A major item
will be the design of machines, devices and systems possessing
a degree of computer based intelligence. The journal seeks to
publish research progress in this field with an emphasis on
the applied rather than the theoretical. It will also serve
the dual role of bringing greater recognition to this important
area of engineering.

Manuscripts should be sent in triplicate to either of the
Editors-in-Chief whose contact information is listed below.

Dr. R. W. Daniel
Department of Engineering Science
University of Oxford
Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PJ
U.K.

Professor J. R. Hewit
Department of Applied Physics, Electronics and Manufacturing Engrg
University of Dundee
Dundee DD1 4HN
U.K.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Richard Brualdi <[email-masked]>

Linear Algebra and Its Applicatios
Contents Volume 210
Fourth Special Issue on Statistics and Linear Algebra

Preface 1

Gene H. Golub (Stanford, California) and Hongyuan Zha
(University Park, Pennsylvania)
Perturbation Analysis of the Canonical Correlations of
Matrix Pairs 3

Shubhabrata Das (Missoula, Montana) and Pranab Kumar Sen
(Chapel Hill, North Carolina)
Restricted Canonical Correlations 29

Steven J. Leon (North Dartmouth, Massachusetts)
Maximizing Bilinear Forms Subject to Linear Constraints 49

J. Dauxois, Y. Romain, and S. Viguier-Pla (Toulouse, France)
Tensor Products and Statistics 59

Geoff A. Latham and Robert S. Anderssen (Canberra, Australia)
Assessing Quantification for the EMS Algorithm 89

Pawel R. Pordzik (Poznan, Poland) and Gotz Trenkler
(Dortmund, Germany)
Pre-test Estimation in the Linear Regression Model With
Competing Restrictions 123

S. R. Searle (Ithaca, New York)
Extending Some Results and Proofs for the Singular Linear Model 139

A. A. Papadopoulou and P.-C. G. Vassiliou
(Thessaloniki, Greece)
Asymptotic Behavior of Nonhomogeneous Semi-Markov Systems 153

D. Q. Wang and C. R. O. Lawoko (Palmerston North, New Zealand)
Estimation of Parameters for Normally Distributed Random Matrices 199

Yasuko Chikuse (Takamatsu-shi, Kagawa-ken, Japan)
Generalized Noncentral Hermite and Laguerre Polynomials
in Multiple Matrices 209

Jorma Kaarlo Merikoski (Tampere, Finland), Humberto Sarria,
and Pablo Tarazaga (Mayaguez, Puerto Rico)
Bounds for Singular Values Using Traces 227

Hans Joachim Werner (Bonn, Germany)
When is B_A_ a Generalized Inverse of AB? 255

B. Mond (Bundoora, Victoria, Australia) and
J. E. Pecric (Zagreb, Croatia)
Inequalities With Weights for Powers of Generalized Inverses. II 265

Author Index 273

              ******************************************
              *                                        *
              *              Conferences               *
              *                                        *
              ******************************************

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by F.L. Lewis, Robotics Inst., Univ. Texas at Arlington.
               [email-masked].
               tel. 817-794-5972, fax 817-794-5952.

_________________________________________________________________
                        THE 34TH IEEE CONFERENCE
                         ON DECISION AND CONTROL

                 New Orleans Hilton Riverside and Towers
                         New Orleans, Louisiana
                          December 13-15, 1995

_________________________________________________________________
The IEEE CSS Conference on Decision and Control (CDC) is the annual
meeting of the IEEE Control Systems Society (CSS), conducted in
cooperation with the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
(SIAM) and the Operations Research Society of America (ORSA).  The
thirty-fourth CDC will be held December 13-15, 1995, with tutorial
workshops preceding the conference on Monday and Tuesday, December
11-12.  The Conference General Chairman is Panos Antsaklis of the
University of Notre Dame, and the Program Chairman is Edward Kamen
of the Georgia Institute of Technology.  The venue is the New
Orleans Hilton Riverside and Towers, located on the Mississippi
River immediately west of Canal Street. A short walk through a
landscaped Riverwalk brings one to the French Quarter, scene of New
Orleans nightlife and musical history.
_________________________________________________________________

        CALL FOR CONTRIBUTED PAPERS AND INVITED SESSIONS

     The IEEE CDC will include both contributed and invited
sessions and a full Proceedings will be published.  Contributed
papers are hereby solicited in all aspects of the theory and
applications of systems, including decision-making, control,
adaptation, optimization, industrial automation, and manufacturing.
Invited sessions are also solicited in new developments in these
and related areas.  All submissions are due 1 MARCH 1995.

CONTRIBUTED PAPERS:

     The Program Committee is soliciting both regular and short
contributed papers for presentation at the conference and
publication in the Proceedings.  All submissions must follow the
guidelines below.

        REGULAR PAPERS.  Regular papers describe completed work
        in some detail.  Authors should submit five (5) copies of
        the full paper for review to the Conference Publications
        Editor at the address below.

        SHORT PAPERS.  Short papers describe important recent or
        preliminary results which require limited length for
        their development.  Authors should submit four (4) copies
        of a 4-6 page detailed summary, including references, for
        review to the Program Vice-Chair for Short Papers at the
        address below.

INVITED SESSIONS:

     The Program Committee is soliciting proposals for invited
sessions.  Cohesive sessions focusing on new or emerging topics in
the above-listed areas are particularly encouraged, and will have
priority over those of a classical or mainstream flavor.  Session
organizers should submit four (4) copies of proposals for invited
sessions for review to the Program Vice-Chair for Invited Sessions
at the address below.  Organizers should contact the Vice-Chair by
1 FEBRUARY 1995 stating their intent to submit a proposal.

     Proposals for invited sessions should contain the names,
affiliations, and complete mailing addresses of the session
organizer(s), chairperson, co-chairperson, and all authors (with
corresponding authors identified) along with a list of paper
titles.  The organizers must include in the proposal: (1) a clear
statement of the topic and purpose of the session and (2) a
description of how the papers form a cohesive, well-integrated
exploration of the session topic.  Detailed extended summaries,
following the submission guidelines below and consisting of a
minimum of 2000 words, covering all contributions of the paper in
sufficient depth to permit an informed review, must be included for
each paper.  The initial paper may be a tutorial or survey which
can be allotted twice the usual time for presentation.  The usual
number of papers in a session is six.  Organizers will be contacted
near 1 June 1995 concerning the tentative disposition of their
session.
_________________________________________________________________

        SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND ACCEPTANCE INFORMATION

     Each submitted regular paper, short paper extended summary,
or invited session proposal must be headed with a title, the names,
affiliations and complete mailing addresses of all authors (or
organizers for invited sessions), a list of three keywords, and the
statement "34th CDC".  The first named author of each paper will be
used for all correspondence unless otherwise requested;  if
possible an electronic mail address and fax number of the
corresponding author should be included.  Incomplete submissions or
submissions by fax or electronic mail cannot be accepted.

     Final selection of papers and invited sessions will be
announced in mid-July 1995.  Authors of all accepted papers will be
provided with instructions for preparation of manuscripts for the
Proceedings.  Authors should limit their manuscripts to six
Proceedings pages (approx. 6000 words) for regular papers or two
Proceedings pages (approx. 2000 words) for short papers.  There
will be a mandatory page charge for each additional page.  Authors
of accepted papers are expected to attend the CDC to present their
work.
_________________________________________________________________

                 ADDRESSES FOR SUBMISSIONS

Regular Papers:
Prof. M. Peshkin, 34th CDC
Editor, Conference Publications
Mechanical Engr. Dept.
Northwestern University
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, Ill 60208-3111
Tel: (708) 467-2666
Fax: (708) 491-3915
email: [email-masked]

Short Papers:
Prof. J. Jim Zhu, 34th CDC
VC for Short Papers
3221 CEBA Bldg.
Rem. Sens.\Image Proc. Lab.
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Tel: (504) 388-6826
email: [email-masked]

Invited Sessions:
Prof. W. J. Rugh, 34th CDC
VC for Invited Sessions
Elect. & Computer Engr. Dept.
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD 21218
Tel: (410) 516-7004
email: [email-masked]

General Information:
Panos J. Antsaklis, 34th CDC
General Chair
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Tel:  (219) 631-5792
Fax:  (219) 631-4393
[email-masked]
_________________________________________________________________

                         SCHEDULE SUMMARY:

1 Feb. 1995-        Deadline for statement of intent to submit
                    invited session proposals

1 Mar. 1995-        Deadline for submission of contributed papers
                    and invited session proposals

1 Jun. 1995-        Tentative notification of invited session
                    organizers

Mid-July 1995-      Notification regarding acceptance of papers and
                    invited sessions

Early Aug. 1995-    Instructions for manuscript preparation sent to
                    authors

Mid-Sept. 1995-     Camera-ready papers due at the printer

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: [email-masked]

     Call for Participation...

     Third SIAM Conference on Control and Its Applications
     April 27-29, 1995
     Adam's Mark Hotel
     St. Louis, Missouri

     Dates to Remember:

     SEPTEMBER 9, 1994 -- Deadline for submission of minisymposium
                          proposals.

     OCTOBER 7, 1994   -- Deadline for submission of contributed abstracts.

     Submissions via E-Mail are welcome. Contact  [email-masked]  to
     receive either a minisymposium proposal form, or a plain TeX or LaTeX
     macro for submitting abstracts.

     For more information about this conference, contact [email-masked]
     or access  gopher.siam.org

     We are looking forward to your participation in this conference. Thank
     you.

     The Conference Organizing Committee

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: M. K. Kwong, Argonne National Laboratory,
                [email-masked]

                       UPCOMING WORKSHOP

      Please forward to any party who may be interested
      -------------------------------------------------

        WAVELETS  AND  LARGE-SCALE IMAGE  PROCESSING

                    October 21 -- 22, 1994

              MCS, Argonne National Laboratory
     Dept of Maths, Stat & CS, U. of Illinois at Chicago

  (Partially sponsored by the Institute for Mathematics and
               Applications, Minneapolis, MN)

Purpose:
=======
  The purpose of the workshop is to bring together leaders in
  wavelet theory and different aspects (methods and applications,
  academia and industry) of very large scale image processing:

  o  to present the current state of the art in applying wavelet
     theory to image processing,

  o  to explore the application of large-scale scientific
     computation, especially massively parallel supercomputers

  o  to process and compress huge image data,

  o  to investigate new challenges demanded by new technologies
     in medical imaging, HDTV, virtual reality, multimedia, 3D
     images, etc.

  The expectation is that new research ideas, motivation, appli-
  cations, and collaboration will be generated by this meeting.

Location:
========
   The meeting will be held in the Mathematics and Computer Science
   Division, Argonne National Laboratory.

Partial List of Speakers:
========================
   Dr. David Colella, the MITRE Corporation
   Dr. Peter Heller, Aware, Inc.
   Professor Maryellen L. Giger, University of Chicago
   Dr. Guy Nason, University of Bristol
   Professor Stanley Osher, UCLA
   Professor Gilbert Strang, MIT
   Professor Gilbert Walter, University of Wisconsin
   Professor Victor Wickerhauser, University of Washington

Contributed talks:
=================
   We will accommodate a limited number of contributed talks of 20
   minutes each.  Please send title and a 1-page abstract before 10/1.

Registration Fee:
================
  Prepaid:  80 (refreshments, Saturday lunch, proceedings)
  After 10/15:  100
  (Speakers will be reimbursed.)

Organizers:  Dr. Man K. Kwong      [email-masked]       (708) 252-7486
==========   Dr. P.T. Peter Tang   [email-masked]   Fax: (708) 252-5986
                MCS, Argonne National Laboratory

             Prof. Tom Bielecki    [email-masked] (312) 996-0752
             Prof. Stephen S.T. Yau  [email-masked] (312) 996-3065
                Dept of Maths, Stat & CS, U. of Illinois at Chicago

            WAVELETS  AND  LARGE-SCALE IMAGE  PROCESSING

                      October 21 -- 22, 1994

                    ARGONNE NATIONAL LABORATORY
                     U. of Illinois at Chicago
REGISTRATION FORM
=================

Name          ____________________________________________________
               (First)          (Middle)        (Last)

email         ____________________________________________________

Organization  ____________________________________________________

Department    ____________________________________________________

Business
Address       ____________________________________________________

Business
Phone         _________________________________

FAX NO        _________________________________

REGISTRATION FEE
****************

___   Enclosed is a check for $80.00 made payable to
               ARGONNE NATIONAL LABORATORY

___   I will pay $100.00 at time of registration  (Personal checks
               accepted in US $, Credit Cards not accepted)

___   No Housing Arrangements Required

Citizenship   ____________________________________________________

  #
  # THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO NON-U.S. CITIZENS ONLY
  #
  #
  # Place of Birth  _____________________  Date of Birth  __________
  #                   (City)   (Country)
  #
  # Immigrant Alien:  Yes  ___    No   ___
  #
  # Gender:            Male ___  Female ___
  #
  # Title, Position or Description of Duties  ______________________
  #
  #
  # ________________________________________________________________
  #

LODGING -- CUTOFF DATE FOR HOTEL RESERVATIONS IS OCT 15, 1994
*******

___   I would like accommodations:  Arrival Date   ____________

                                    Departure Date ____________

             single ($34.95/night) ___

             shared ($40.95 for 2) ___

                    Name of second occupant _______________________

      Budgetel Inn, 855  79th Street, Willowbrook, IL 60521
                    (708) 654-0077

TRANSPORTATION - Following are suggested limousine services between
**************   O'Hare or Midway Airport and the Budgetel Inn.

    American Limousine Service - (708) 920-8888
    United Limousine Service   - (708) 969-3865
                  Out-of-State - (800) 826-0341

    A photo I.D., such as a driver's license or passport, is required
    for site access.

Please return this form  BEFORE OCT 15 to:

Conference Services
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 South Cass Avenue             or by email to
Argonne, IL 60439                  [email-masked]
     (708) 252-5587
FAX: (708) 252-5274

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Floyd B. Hanson  <[email-masked]>

                             ICCI95 Call for Papers
            International Conference on Control and Information, 1995

                      The Institute of Mathematical Sciences
                        Chinese University of Hong Kong
                              Shatin NT, HONG KONG
                                 June 5-9, 1995

ICCI95 Conference:
------------------
The Conference will include contributed sessions and invited minisymposia, in
broad areas of automatic control, system Theory, information theory and
applications.  Control and information are important for progress in
advancing technology, maintaining industrial edge, and essential for
understanding scientific progress in the Pacific Rim.  Recent developments
in control and information have exhibited an expansion of classical methods
to more modern and innovative methods, along with adaptation and integration
of the classical methods to new methods.  The emergence of new control and
information methodologies has led to more powerful procedures for solving
challenging problems.

Keynote Invited Speakers:
-------------------------
Brian D. O. Anderson (Australia)                Yu-Chi Larry Ho (USA)
Suguru Arimoto (Japan)                          Sanjoy K. Mitter (USA)
Jagdish Chandra (USA)                           Jian Song (China)
Charles K. Chui (USA)                           Jan C. Willems (Netherlands)
Bruce A. Francis (Canada)                       Eugene Wong (Hong Kong and
USA)

Conference Sponsors:
--------------------
The IEEE Control Society and the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society are
technical co-sponsors of the conference.  The conference is sponsored by
the US Army Research Office, the Army Research Office - Far East,
the Institute of Mathematical Sciences of the Chinese University of Hong
Kong, the K. C. Wong Education Foundation, the American GNC Corporation,
the International Press Company, Varitronix Limited,
Hong Kong Baptist University, as well as other foundations.

Conference Steering Committees:
-------------------------------
The ICCI95 General Co-Chairmen are Professor Stephen S. T. Yau of University
of Illinois at Chicago and Professor Shing-Tung Yau of Harvard University and
Institute of Mathematical Sciences.  The General Associate Chairman is Floyd
B. Hanson of University of Illinois at Chicago. Dr. Ching-Fang Lin of
American GNC Corporation is Honorary Chair.  The Local Arrangements Committee
is chaired by Dr. Kung Fu Ng and co-chaired by Dr. Chung Ping Kwong, both of
the Chinese University of Hong Kong.  The Organizing Committee includes John
Baillieul, Toshio Fukuda, Floyd B. Hanson, Kung-Fu Ng , C. P. Kwong, Allen
R.
Tannenbaum, Stephen S. T. Yau, Shing-Tung Yau and Wing-Shing Wong.

Call for Contributed Papers and Minisymposia:
---------------------------------------------
Authors should submit four copies of full papers for review no later than
November 15, 1994 to the Program Coordinator Dr. Wing-Shing Wong, at the
address given below.  The same date holds for submission of minisymposia
session proposals and associated papers.  The first page of all papers must
contain the paper title, three key words, and the name, affiliation, and
complete mailing address of each author.  If available, include telephone and
Fax numbers, as well as E-mail address.  Notification of acceptance and
authors' kits will be distributed by January 20, 1995 with final mats due
soon after.  All papers accepted for presentation will be included in the
conference proceedings.

Full papers should be submitted to:    For general information, send an
                                       E-mail message to [email-masked]
Dr. Wing-Shing Wong                    or contact:
ICCI95 Program Coordinator
Department of Information Engineering  Dr. Kung Fu Ng
Chinese University of Hong Kong        ICCI95 Local Arrangements Committee
Chair
Shatin NT, Hong Kong                   Department of Mathematics
Phone: +(852) 609-8378,                Chinese University of Hong Kong
Fax:   +(852) 603-5032                 Shatin NT, Hong Kong
E-mail: [email-masked]              E-mail: [email-masked]

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: [email-masked]

           1995 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
                      Aug. 27-29, 1995, DAYTON, OHIO, USA

     Sponsored by: The Department of Electrical Engineering, Wright State
                   University, Dayton, OH
                 : IEEE Aerospace and Electronics Society
             and : IEEE Dayton, Section.
======================================================================
                FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPER
======================================================================
The 1995 IEEE International Conference on Systems Engineering (ICSE) will
be held on Aug. 27-29, 1995 at the Holiday Inn, Dayton, OH. The technical
program will cover the following subjects (with aerospace emphasis):

 o Adaptive Antenna                    o Infrared Satellite Communication
 o Air Traffic Control                 o Multisensor Detection
 o Communication Networks              o Navigation
 o Flexible Space Structures           o Neural Networks in Aerospace
 o Estimation                          o Satellite Communication
 o Fault Detection                     o Signal Demodulation
 o Fault Tolerant Systems              o Signal Detection & Intercept
 o Flight Control                      o Spectral Estimation
 o Data Fusion                         o Tracking
 o Global Position Systems             o VLSI in Aerospace
----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAPER SUBMISSION
=========================
CONTRIBUTED PAPERS
-------------------------
Authors wishing to contribute papers to the conference should send 4
copies of a 4-5 extended page summary of their papers to the TECHNICAL
CHAIR (Contributed Sessions) by JANUARY 15, 1995. The summary must
clearly specify the contributions of the paper and should be headed
with the title, author name(s), complete mailing address of the author(s),
phone/FAX/E-mail and 3-4 keywords from the list of topics listed above.
All papers accepted for presentation must appear in the conference
proceedings and each paper will be allocated 4 proceedings pages. An over
the page limit charge will apply to longer contributions.
-------------------------
INVITED SESSION
-------------------------
Authors interested in organizing invited sessions must contact the
TECHNICAL CHAIR (Invited Sessions) for appropriate forms by DECEMBER 15,
1994. The completed forms must be submitted to him by JANUARY 15, 1995.
-------------------------
TUTORIAL WORKSHOPS
-------------------------
The conference will arrange tutorial workshops that will be offerred
in conjunction with the 1995 IEEE ICSE. Suggestions for workshops of
interest to IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society are solicited.
Potential organizers should contact the TECHNICAL CHAIR (Tutorials and
Workshops) as soon as possible.
-------------------------
DEADLINES
-------------------------
 o Contact Tech. Chair for Invited Session for    December 15, 1994
     invited session forms
 o Submission of a 4-5 page extended summary      January 15, 1995
     and invited sessions
 o Author Notification                            April 15, 1995
 o Submission of mats for proceedings             June 1, 1995
-------------------------------
For further information contact:
-------------------------------
GENERAL CHAIR
--------------------------
    Professor Pradeep Misra
    Department of Electrical Engineering,
    Wright State University,
    Dayton,  Ohio 45435
    (Telephone: 513/873-3527; FAX: 513/873-5009)
    email: [email-masked]

--------------------------
TECHNICAL CHAIR (Contributed Sessions).
--------------------------
    Professor Jay Farrell
    College of Engineering
    University of California, Riverside:
    Riverside, CA 92521 USA
    (Telephone: 909/787-2159; FAX: 909/787-3188)
    email: [email-masked]

--------------------------
TECHNICAL CHAIR (Invited Sessions).
--------------------------
    Professor John A. Tague
    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
    339 Stocker Center
    Ohio University
    Athens, Ohio 45701-2979
    (Telephone: 614/593-1575; Fax:   614/593-0007)
    [email-masked]

--------------------------
TECHNICAL CHAIR (Tutorials and Workshops).
--------------------------
    Professor Lang Hong
    Department of Electrical Engineering,
    Wright State University,
    Dayton,  Ohio 45435
    (Telephone: 513/873-3527; FAX: 513/873-5009).
    email: [email-masked]

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by : R Ravi

          The Fourth IEEE Conference on Control Applications
                 The Desmond Hotel, Albany, New York
                       September 28-29, 1995

                          CALL FOR PAPERS

The fourth IEEE Conference on Control Applications (CCA) is being
sponsored by the IEEE Control Systems Society in cooperation with the
ASME to emphasize control applications. The CCA '95 will be held in
Albany, New York, at the Desmond Hotel on September 28--29, 1995. For
further information, contact either of the General Cochairs:

Joe H. Chow, ECSE Department,
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York, 12180--3590
Phone: 518--276--6374 Fax: 518--276--6261 E-mail: [email-masked]

K. Dean Minto, Control Systems and Electronics Technologies Laboratory,
GE Corporate R&D Center, Schenectady, New York, 12309
Phone: 518--387--6760 Fax: 518--387--5164 E-mail: [email-masked]

The program committee solicits papers presenting original work in all
aspects of the application of control techniques such as:

Adaptive Control, Artificial Intelligence, Dencentralized Control,
Fuzzy logic/Neural nets, Modeling & Diagnostics, Optimization,
Robust/Nonlinear control, Simulation, System identification

In accordance with the power and energy systems theme of the conference,
we encourage submissions in topical areas of interest including but not
necessarily limited to the following:

Alternative energy sytems, combined cycle/Cogen, Distribution systems,
Environmental aspects, Energy management, FACTS/HVDC, Non-utility
generation, Power electronics, Power system stability, Protection
systems, Space power applications, Turbine/Generator control

The 4th CCA Program Committee invites authors to submit 5 copies of
complete manuscripts for regular papers or 5 copies of extended
summaries for brief papers. The first page of each manuscript must
contain the title of the paper, author's names and affiliations, and 4
keywords. Manuscripts should be sent to:

The 4th IEEE Conference on Control Applications
GE Corporate R&D Center, Schenectady, New York, 12309
Phone: 518--387--5354 Fax: 518--387--5164 E-mail: [email-masked]

The Program Committee is also soliciting proposals for invited sessions.
Prospective organizers should contact Dr. Ravi, at the above address,
to obtain the forms for invited sessions. Five copies of the completed
forms should then be mailed to Dr. Ravi.

Persons interested in organizing or participating in a pre-conference
workshop should contact the workshop chairman, Karl Tammar, at the
address below:

Karl Tammar, New York Power Pool, Schenectady, New York, 12303
Phone: 518--356--6205 Fax: 518--356--6118

***********************************************************************
                             DEADLINES
***********************************************************************

Manuscripts and proposals due by  FEBRUARY  1, 1995
Notification of Acceptance  MAY 15, 1995
Camera-Ready Manuscripts due by  JUNE 30, 1995

***********************************************************************
                        STEERING COMMITTEE
***********************************************************************

General Cochairs

Joe H. Chow
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

K. Dean Minto
General Electric

Program Cochairs

Rajamani Ravi
GE Corporate R&D Center
Schenectady, New York, 12309
Phone: 518--387--5354 Fax: 387--5164
E-mail: [email-masked]

James H. Taylor
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of New Brunswick
Fredericton, NB CANADA E3B 5A3
Phone: (506) 458--7100 <tone> 862--6022 Fax: 453--3589
E-mail: [email-masked]

Finance Chair

Hisham Othman
ABB Power T&D Company
Raleigh, NC, USA
(919) 856--2490, Fax: 856--2459

Local Arrangements Chair

Howard Kaufman
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, NY, USA
(518) 276--6081 Fax: 276--6261
email: [email-masked]

Registration Chair

Stephen Benchluch
Power Technologies, Inc.
Schenectady, NY, USA
(518) 395--5040 Fax: 346--2777

Publications Chair

John T. Wen
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, NY, USA
(518) 276--8744 Fax: 276--6261
email: [email-masked]

Publicity Chair

Juan J. Sanchez-Gasca
General Electric
Schenectady, NY, USA
(518) 385--5564 Fax: 385--5703

Workshop Chair

Karl Tammar
New York Power Pool

                            PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Said Ahmed-Zaid, Vivek Badami, Wayne Bequette, Timothy Chang, Degang Chen,
Hsiao-Dong Chiang, Kevin Craig, Bernard Friedland, Lawson Harris, Paul Houpt,
Garng Huang, Maria Ilic, Tim Johnson, Mustapha Khammash, Farshad Khorrami,
Bruce Krogh, Douge Looze,Jin Lu, Peter Luh, Kenneth Marcelle, Raman Mehra,
Eduardo Misawa, Bruce Norman, M. A. Pai, Antonio Pascoal, William Rowen,
Sheppard Salon, David Torrey, George Verghese, N. Viswanadham

***********************************************************************
DEADLINE FOR MANUSCRIPTS:                             FEBRUARY  1, 1995
***********************************************************************

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Gustavo Arroyo Figueroa

**                   CALL FOR PAPERS                     **
**                IFAC SYMPOSIUM ON CONTROL              **
**            OF POWER PLANTS AND POWER SYSTEMS          **
**        SIPOWER '95 CANCUN MEX. DECEMBER 4-6 1995      **

INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Chairman     R. Canales (MEX)
CoChairmen   T. Dy-Liacco (USA)            H. K. Kwatny (USA)
             R. Nieva (MEX)                D. Palomares (MEX)

Members      F. Aboytes (MEX)              Jo. Alvarez (MEX)
             C. Alvarez (E)                T. Ichikawa (J)
             G. Honderd (NL)               O. Hernandez (MEX)
             O. P. Malik (CDN)             P. M. Largen (DK)
             L. Marzio (I)                 G. K. Lausterer (D)
             A. Merlin (F)                 C. Maffezzoni (I)
             M. Pavella (B)                N. W. Rees (AUS)
             D. Romero (MEX)               C. A. Smith (USA)
             H. Weber (CH)                 E. Welfonder (D)
             Y. Xue (PRC)                  Li Xiwu (PRC)

NATIONAL PROGRAM COMMITEE

Chairman     G. Arroyo (IIE)
CoChairmen   H. Sarmiento (IIE)            A. Villavicencio (IIE)
Members      S. Acha (UANL)                R. Chavez (IIE)
             M. Avila (CFE)                R. Fernandez (ITESM)
             R. Avila (IIE)                E. Gleason (IIE)
             A. Inda (IIE)                 J. M. Ibarra (CINVESTAV)
             J. Martinez (IIE)             J. M. Ricao(CENIDET)
             J. L. Naredo (IIE)            C. Verde (UNAM)

SPONSORED BY:

IFAC Technical Committee on Applications. Co-sponsored by IFAC
Technical Committees on: Components and Instruments, Computers,
Education and Systems Engineering.

ORGANIZED BY:

Instituto de Investigaciones Electricas (Control Systems Division)
on behalf of the Asociacion de Mexico de Control Automatico with
the support of:

Instituto de Investigaciones Electricas
Comision Federal de Electricidad
Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia

SCOPE:

The objective of the symposium is to bring together control
engineers and scientists of power plants and power systems
worldwide.

The interaction between the control engineers and scientists of
power plants and power systems will be in the fields of energy
management, artificial intelligence techniques, integrated computer
systems, numerical methods, simulation and training tools applied
to control of power systems and power plants.

The symposium's technical program will include survey papers,
plenary, invited and regular technical sessions.

TOPICS:

Control of Power Plants
Control and operation of power plants
Power plants modelling and simulation
Integrated computer systems for power plants
Distributed control systems
Tools for control system design and documentation
Fault diagnosis and fault tolerant systems
Optimal and state feedback control
Artificial intelligence applications
Advanced control schemes
Power plant automation: case studies

Control of Power systems
State estimation and model reduction
Optimal power flow calculation techniques
Generation scheduling and control
Voltage and reactive power scheduling and control
Dynamic security analysis
Stability enhancement and control
Advanced power systems control center functions
Artificial intelligence applications
Dispatcher training simulators
Flexible transmission systems
Power systems restoration
Open system architectures for control centers

CONTRIBUTIONS:

Five copies of an extended abstract of three pages (800-1000 words)
in English should be sent to the secretariat address. It must
clearly indicate the new contributions and the relevance of the
theme to the Symposium, according to the following structure:

         0. Title and authors addresses (E-mail/phone/Fax)
         1. State of the art
         2. New contribution
         3. Application or simulation results
         4. References
         5. Five keywords

Proposals of invited sessions including a brief description of the
topics and a list of prospective authors and titles should be sent
to the secretariat address.

SECRETARIAT ADDRESS

Instituto de Investigaciones Electricas
Director Division de Sistemas de Control
Apdo. 475 Cuernavaca, Mor., 62000, Mexico.
Phone:           +52-73-189-655 or 182-442
Fax:             +52-73-189-535 or 189-854
E-mail: [email-masked]

DEADLINES

Submission of extended abstracts
and proposals of invited sessions:  December 2, 1994
Preliminary acceptance:             March 17, 1995
Submission of final papers:         May 19, 1995
Final acceptance:                   August 4, 1995

LOCATION

The Symposium will be held in Cancun by the Caribbean sea in
southeast Mexico, near the ancient Mayan ruins. The hotel is
located on the beach.

COPYRIGHT

The material submitted for presentation at an IFAC meeting must be
original, not published or being considered elsewhere. All papers
for presentation will appear in the Preprints of the meeting and
will be distributed to the participants. Papers duly presented will
be archived and offered for sale, in the form of Postprint volumes,
by Elsevier Science Ltd., Oxford, UK. The papers which have been
presented will be further screened for possible publication in the
IFAC journals Automatica and Control Engineering Practice or in
other, IFAC affiliated journals. the abstracts of all papers
presented will also appear in Control Engineering Practice.

Copyright of material presented at an IFAC meeting is held by IFAC.
Authors will be sent a copyright transfer form. Automatica, Control
Engineering Practice and, after these, IFAC affiliated journals
have priority access to all contributions presented. However, if
the author is not contacted by an editor of these journals, within
three months after the meeting, the author is free to re-submit the
material for publication elsewhere. In this case, the paper must
carry a reference to the IFAC meeting where it was originally
published.

LANGUAGE

The official symposium language is English. No simultaneous
translation will be provided.

Information Form

To be  completed and returned to the Symposium Secretariat.
Dr. Roberto Canales / SIPOWER 95'

Instituto de Investigaciones Electricas
Director Division de Sistemas de Control
Apdo. 475, Cuernavaca Mor., 62000
MEXICO.

FAX:      +52-73-189-535
e-mail:   [email-masked]

Please tick as appropriate:

I intend to:     O   Attend the symposium
                 O   Submit a paper

Provisional  Title :
Name(s)  of  Author(s) :

Propose an invited session.
Subject:

Please re-send this call for papers or send us an e-mail list of
people you consider that could be interested in the topic of this
symposium to secretariat Address.

Thank you/gracias.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by:  [email-masked] (Lee Giles)

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS

International Workshop on Applications of
Neural Networks to Telecommunications (IWANNT*95)

Stockholm, Sweden
May 22-24, 1995

You are invited to submit a paper to an international workshop on
applications of neural networks and other intelligent systems
to problems in telecommunications and information networking.
This is the second workshop in a series that began
in Princeton, New Jersey on October, 18-20 1993.
This conference will take place in the center of Stockholm at a
time of the year when the beautiful city is at its best. A tour
in the famous archipelago adds to the attraction.

This workshop will bring together active researchers in neural networks
and related intelligent systems with potential users in the
telecommunications industries. Today, telecommunications also means
data transmission, cable TV, wireless, and entertainment industries.
We expect the workshop to be a forum for discussion of applications
issues relevant to the enlarged circle of telecommunications industries.

It is sponsored by IEEE, INNS, SNNS (Swedish Neuronet Society),
Bellcore and Ericsson.

Suggested Topics:
Application of Neural Networks and other Intelligent Systems in:

Network Management
Congestion Control
Adaptive Equalization
Speech Recognition
Security Verification
Language ID/Translation
Information Filtering
Dynamic Routing
Software Reliability
Fraud Detection
Financial and Market Prediction
Adaptive User Interfaces
Fault Identification and Prediction
Character Recognition
Adaptive Control
Data Compression

Please submit 6 copies of both a 50 word abstract and a 1000 word summary
of your paper to arrive in New Jersey, USA by September 16, 1994.
Mail papers to the conference administrator:

Betty Greer, IWANNT*95
Bellcore, MRE 2P-295
445 South St.
Morristown, NJ 07960
(201) 829-4993
(fax) 829-5888
[email-masked]

Abstract and Summary Due: September 16, 1994
Author Notification of Acceptance: November 1, 1994
Camera-Ready Copy of Paper Due: February 10, 1995

Organizing Committee:

General Chair
Josh Alspector
Bellcore, MRE 2P-396
445 South St.
Morristown, NJ 07960-6438
(201) 829-4342
[email-masked]

Program Chair
Rod Goodman
Caltech 116-81
Pasadena, CA 91125
(818) 356-3677
[email-masked]

Publications Chair
Timothy X Brown
Bellcore, MRE 2E-378
445 South St.
Morristown, NJ 07960-6438
(201) 829-4314
[email-masked]

Treasurer
Anthony Jayakumar, Bellcore

Publicity
Atul Chhabra, NYNEX
Lee Giles, NEC

Local Arrangements
Miklos Boda, Ellemtel
Bengt Asker, Ericsson

Program Committee
Harald Brandt, Ellemtel
Tzi-Dar Chiueh, National Taiwan University
Francoise Fogelman, SLIGOS
Michael Gell, British Telecom
Larry Jackel, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Thomas John, Southwestern Bell
Adam Kowalczyk, Telecom Australia
S Y Kung, Princeton University
Tadashi Sone, NTT
Bernard Widrow, Stanford University

Conference Administrator
Betty Greer
Bellcore, MRE 2P-295
445 South St.
Morristown, NJ 07960
(201) 829-4993
(fax) 829-5888
[email-masked]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Workshop on Applications of
Neural Networks to Telecommunications (IWANNT*95)
Stockholm, Sweden
May 22-24, 1995

Registration Form

Name:

Institution:

Mailing Address:

Telephone:

Fax:

E-mail:

I will attend | |

Send more information | |

Paper enclosed  | |

Registration Fee Enclosed  | |
($400; $500 after Apr. 15, 1995; $200 students;)
Please make sure your name is on the check (made out to IWANNT*95)

Registration includes lunch, a boat tour of the Stockholm archipelago,
and proceedings available at the conference.

Mail to:
Betty Greer, IWANNT*95
Bellcore, MRE 2P-295
445 South St.
Morristown, NJ 07960
(201) 829-4993
(fax) 829-5888
[email-masked]

Deadline for submissions: September 16, 1994
Author Notification of Acceptance: November 1, 1994
Camera-Ready Copy of Paper Due: February 10, 1995

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.**
Contributed by: Bruce Hajek <[email-masked]>

              (FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT)

1995 IEEE INFORMATION THEORY WORKSHOP ON INFORMATION
     THEORY, MULTIPLE ACCESS AND QUEUEING

Wednesday, April 19--Friday, April 21, 1995
Adam's Mark Hotel, downtown St. Louis, Missouri

The purpose of this workshop is to identify critical problems
and principles that underly the design of complex, multi-user information
systems, and to explore analytical techniques for dealing with the problems.
The focus is on the interplay among information, multiple access and queueing
theories. Complex communication systems such as personal communication
systems,
high speed integrated networks, low-earth orbit satellite systems, and
intelligent highways require the integration of disparate
sources of information.  Individual information sources can display a large
dispersion between peak and average information rates.  Many systems must
also deal with time-varying noisy communication channels.  Techniques
such as multiple access coding, random access, statistical multiplexing,
switching theory and variable rate source-coding are useful, but much remains
to be understood in integrating these techniques into systems.  An effort
will
be made to identify fundamental limits on performance and to suggest design
methodologies.

                        Featured Speakers
R.G. Gallager, MIT      J.L. Massey, ETH      S. Verdu, Princeton University

Sessions
Source Coding and Networking Interplay
  Organizer: K. Zeger, UI Urbana
Multiuser Communication Systems
  Organizer: B. Aazhang, Rice
Control, Dimensioning and Traffic Models for High Speed Communication
Networks
  Organizer: V. Anantharam, UC Berkeley
Open Problems and Recent Results
  Chair: J. Hui, Rutgers
Communication Limits and Efficient Design of Networks
  Organizer: G. Sasaki, U. Hawaii
Multiuser Information Theory and Coding
  Organizer: B. Hughes, Johns Hopkins

Special Wrap-up Session
   R.J. McEliece, Caltech

SOCIAL PROGRAM: The official workshop dinner cruise along the Mississippi
River on the Huck Finn will take place on Thursday evening, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.

CONTRIBUTIONS ARE SOUGHT for the session on Open Problems and Recent
Results.
Each presentation, about ten minutes long, is to either formulate an open
problem or report on a recent research paper related to the workshop theme.
Contributions should be submitted in the form of a summary to the Chair of
the session:
        Prof. Joseph Hui
        Dept. ECE, Rutgers University
        Piscataway, NJ 08855-0909
        (email) [email-masked]
preferably by Email, by January 15, 1995.  Earlier submission is
encouraged.  Notification of acceptance will be given by February 1.

REGISTRATION/WORKSHOP FEES: The fee is $125 ($60 for students) before
March 15, 1995.  The late or on-site registration fee is $135 ($70
for students).  The fee includes one admission to the Thursday evening
dinner cruise. Additional tickets for the dinner/cruise are available
for $30 each.  Send registration fee by check or money order drawn
on a US bank in US dollars payable to Information Theory Workshop, along with
NAME, ADDRESS, E-MAIL ADDRESS, and preferred name on badge, to:

Professor Joseph O'Sullivan, ITW Registration
Washington University
Campus Box 1127
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130

Indicate if you do NOT want your name listed on conference attendee list.

TRAVEL GRANTS: A limited number of travel grants may be available to help
defer the costs of travel of those with limited access to other support.
For information, contact Professor O'Sullivan (Address above. E-mail:
[email-masked])

LOCATION/LODGING: The Workshop will take place in the Adam's Mark Hotel,
in the heart of downtown St. Louis, near the Arch and Union Station. The
hotel has impressive workout facilities and indoor and outdoor pools. Lodging
should be arranged directly with the hotel. Telephone (314) 241-7400 or
1-800-444-2326 for reservations, and let them know you are involved with
the IEEE Information Theory Workshop to get the following discount rates:
Single - $ 99,  Double - $109; both rates will be subject to 13.85% tax.

Alternate lodging is listed below. All rates are subject to 13.85% tax.

The Holiday Inn Riverfront, located at 4th and pine, is two blocks from
the Adams Mark. The phone number is (314) 621-8200 or 1-800-925-1395.
Single or Double - $69

The Days Inn at the Arch, 333 Washington Ave. is four blocks from the
Adams Mark. The phone number is (314) 621-7900. Single - $69 Double - $79

The Courtyard by Marriot is located close to Union Stattion (2340 Market St.)
The phone number is (314) 241-9111 or 1-800-321-2211. Single-$89 Double-$99

The Hampton Inn - Union Station is located close to Union Station (2211
Market
St.) The phone number is (314) 241-3200 or 1-800-426-7866. Single-$75
Double-$85

Please note, it is not uncommon for hotels in downtown St. Louis to be
full to capacity - so make your reservations early.

ABOUT ST. LOUIS:  St. louis is a delightful city with a colorful histroy.
Within walking distance of the hotel is the Arch (there is an excellent
museum
of Western History and expansion located beneath the Arch), riverboat
tours, riverboat casinos, Historic Union Station, Historic Lacledes
Landing, The Old Cathedral, the Old Court House and a delightful
riverfront night life.

If one is willing to drive a little ways, within twenty minutes of the
hotel there are Illinois riverboat casinos, the Anheuser-Busch brewery
(tours Mon-Sat 9-4 with free samples at the end), Forest Park (location
of the 1904 Worlds Fair and Olympics), home of
St. Louis Art Museum, St. Louis Science Center and St. Louis Zoo - all
worth seeing, the "Hill", a collection of Italian Restaurants and shops,
the Delmar Loop, location of the St. Louis "Walk of Fame", and many more
attractions.

If the Cardinals are playing at Home, you may be able to
catch a game at Busch Stadium, and the Blues, if they are playing at home,
can be found at the St. Louis Arena. The Fox Theater and Powell Symphony
Hall are also both within a short distance of the hotel.

TRANSPORTATION: The MetroLink train leaves St. Louis International Airport
every 7.5 minutes, costs one dollar each way, and takes
30 minutes to reach the 8th and Pine stop in downtown St. Louis,
five blocks from the Adams Mark.

INFORMATION:  For information on the workshop, updated regularly, a site
on the World Wide Web has been set up with URL http://ee.wustl.edu/~itw/
Information may also be obtained by sending an e-mail note to
[email-masked]
or FAX message to (314) 935-4842.

General Chairs: Bruce Hajek               Bixio Rimoldi
                Univ. of Illinois         Washington University, St. Louis
                [email-masked]          [email-masked]

Local Arrangements: Paul Min, Washington University, St. Louis
Registration and Travel Grants: Joseph O'Sullivan, Washington Univ., St.
Louis
Publicity/Publications: Leandros Tassiulas, Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute

              ******************************************
              *                                        *
              *               THE END                  *
              *                                        *
              ******************************************